Saturday 12 April 2014

Mothering Sunday

Mothering Sunday was a couple of weeks ago here in UK, but I have been so busy making hand bags for our shop that I haven't had time to show you what my mother received. So let's put that right.

Now, my mother has a favourite colour... Cream. Coming a close second is beige, which is vying for the prize along with taupe. As you can imagine, this is the polar opposite to me with my love of colour. So I dutifully made something that breaks all my own rules, knowing that my Mum would love it.


This cushion is based on a pattern called Adele Heart, that is available to purchase on www.ravelry.com - I admit it, I was drawn to the rainbow of colours that are featured on the pattern for this heart! 

As ever with a bought pattern, I found that it didn't quite make what I wanted, so I had to add several extra rounds, repeating the popcorns pattern, to produce a cushion sized heart. I would also change the popcorn rounds so that they are worked from the back of the piece in order to produce fuller popcorns if I make this again. I'm not entirely sure why the pattern author hasn't done that. 


Having made two hearts, I made an extra well stuffed heart shaped cushion inner (my Mum loves extra fat cushions) then crocheted the two hearts together with slip stitch. Had I not been running out of time, I would have made the cover removable with buttons along the opening, but I was up against the clock on this project - good thing my Mum is not a spiller of things!

I finished off the cushion with a big cream flower (which I forgot to take a photo of - doh!) and a big vintage pearl button. I will take a photo of the cushion complete with its flower on my next visit to my parents' house and show you.

Lessons learned from this cushion? Always make popcorns from behind - I knew this even as I was following the pattern, and should have trusted my instincts... Make sure to double the time you expect it to take to make a gift.... And finally, sometimes, mother knows best. It does look really rather nice in plain cream. 



Yarn used was cream pure wool aran left over from a jumper I knitted a few years ago, hook size 4.5mm.


Keep up to date with Rachel and Pip
You can subscribe to our blog by cliking 'join this site' on the right hand side of this page near the top.
We are also on Facebook. See what's hot at Rachel and Pip Towers by liking us on Facebook - don't forget to add us to your newsfeed by hovering over 'liked' add selecting 'Get Notifications'.

No comments:

Post a Comment